This recipe is based on the excellent recipe found over at Girl’s gone child. Unfortunately its vegetarian and uses some O6 heavy oils. So here is a slight modification for a more paleo approach. Quinoa itself might not be paleo, its very debatable, however it doesn’t seem to cause digestive issues at all. Its also a much lighter ball than Elana’s Almond Balls. For the soup I simply use a bunch of chicken bones (probably 4-5 lbs) in a 12 quart stock pot and teaspoon of vinegar. Keep the pot filled to about under 2 ” from top for boiling. After about 12 hours of cooking at simmer temps with lid on, add some cut up soup greens and salt for flavor. Let cook for another 6-12 hours. This is called a bone broth.
The ball recipe is modified here:
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tbsp schmaltz (chicken fat) melted
- 3 tbsp Coconut Oil (melted)
- 1 rounded cup quinoa flakes (you might be able to make this with normal quinoa if you process it in a food processor? haven’t tried it yet)
- 1/2 tsp xantham gum (thickens mixture)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 cups-4 cups of water
- Beat eggs
- Add flakes to bowl
- Add all seasonings and oils to bowl and mix
- Refrigerate mixture for at least 30 minutes.
- Boil 3-4 cups of water in a sauce pan.
- Roll balls into about 1/2 ” spheres and drop into boiling water. Hold somewhat close to not get splash back.
- Lower temps to mid heat and boil for 30 minutes.
- Warm up a bone broth in another pan at mid heat.
- Strain the balls and move them to the bone broth.
- Serve when ready.