Kitchen Tested who recently posted an excellent pizza recipe here. I made quite a few changes to the recipe since I don’t like cheese in my crust and wanted to make a sauce from scratch. This is low carb for a pizza too so its healthier than usual and kosher for passover. I did have to get ground oregano from the non kosher for passover section. I simply could not find fresh oregano at local supermarkets oddly enough and I was dumb not to harvest my oregano plant and make KOP dried oregano leaves during the fall. I also had to make 2 crusts since my family inhales this pizza. One pizza was simply not enough. Fortunately there enough sauce here probably for 4 more pizzas!
- 1-2 pizza metal pans (depending on how many pizzas you want to make)
- food processor
- small knife
- sauce pans
- mixing bowls
- chopping board
- microwave safe pyrex dish
- Rolling pizza cutting knife
- alluminum foil
- Olive oil cooking spray
I’d make the sauce first since its the most time consuming so I will start off with that. There simply isn’t any decent marinara or pizza sauces for Passover so I made one. They all have cottonseed oil, msg and mystery ingredients which will make your heart explode. After passover you can use a 6oz can of tomato paste with 1 cup of water to make the basis for the sauce. It saves a lot of time.
Marinara Pizza Sauce
- 14 roma tomatoes or ( 12 roma and 1 large tomato
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp peppercorn
- 1 1/2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp fresh basil
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground garlic powder
- 1 tbsp minced onion
- Boil tomatoes in as many pans as you need to get 14 cooked in. The goal is to the skin to crack so it can take anywhere from 2-10 minutes.
- Remove tomatoes and strain. Let cool
- Peel off skin and cut off stems.
- Food process tomatoes into a sauce and pour in one large sauce pan.
- Add oil, and all seasonings.
- Mix ingredients.
- Heat at mid heat for 15 minutes stirring occasionally to avoid bubbling.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
Crust (for one crust)
- 1/2 -1 whole cauliflower
- 1/2 tsp minced onion
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1-2 eggs depending on size
- Cut off heads of cauliflower and remove leaves.
- All parts of the cauliflower that are not the stem add to a food processor.
- Process cauliflower until its a rice like consistency as shown.
- Add the riced cauliflower to a pyrex dish.
- Microwave for 8 minutes to remove all moisture from cauliflower.
- Let cool
- Scramble eggs in a separate bowl
- Add seasoning to eggs.
- Move cauliflower to a mixing bowl.
- Mix eggs with cauliflower.
- Cover pizza pan with alluminum foil.
- Spray covered pizza pan with cooking spray.
- Preheat over to 450*F
- Spread cauliflower crust mix as shown as bellow. Its close to 12″ diameter circle
- Bake in oven from 12-20 minutes depending on thickness. You should have some brown on the edges.
Toppings ( I did a simple cheese pizza)
- Pizza Sauce (See above)
- Millers Pizza Cheese (Parm, Muenster and Mozzarella)
- Oneg Cheddar Cheese
- Add sauce to center of crust and spread outward. Leave an area for a handle or pizza bone.
- Add as much cheese as you want
- Cook for 5 minutes at 400*F
- Cut into 8 pieces with a cutting knife.
Boil Tomatoes for 2-10 minutes until the skin comes off easily.
Peel off skin of tomatoes and cut of the stems.
Mix pizza marinara sauce and cook for 15 minutes at mid heat. Let cool to room temperature.
Rice Cauliflower and microwave for 8 minutes to dry out. There is 2 cups of cauliflower per bowl. I made two crusts.
Cauliflower crust pounded out and read to be baked.
Cauliflower crust baked.
Sauce added to center and spread out to cover pizza. Some area allowed for “bone.”
Two types of kosher for passover Miller cheeses added. Pizza cheese (muenster, parmigiana and mozzarella) and cheddar.
Melted cheeses after about 5 minutes at 400*F.
Ready to eat! I ate with a fork since its not a very stiff crust. I might need to cook the crust longer or make it thinner.